August is National Hair Loss Awareness Month
Hair As we close out National Hair Loss Awareness Month, we thought this would be a good opportunity to give you a broad overview of hair loss. These are all topics that we explore regularly in our blog.
- Statistics. Hair loss is very common, and if you’re suffering from it, you shouldn’t be ashamed. There are an estimated 50 million men with significant hair loss in the US, and just between the ages of 40 and 49, about 53% of men have significant hair loss.
- Types of Hair Loss. Androgenetic alopecia is the most common type of hair loss in men and women. This is the genetic type of hair loss, although genes are influenced by environment to a certain extent. Aside from genetic-based hair loss there is a long list of other types of hair loss that can be related to hormones, medicines, diet, stress, and other even rarer types.
- Treatments. There are currently several types of treatments that work including surgical options, medical options, and low-level laser therapy caps—that are FDA-cleared and clinically proven to help.
- Helping yourself. Treatments aside, there are some things that you can do to help yourself. These suggestions include eating enough protein and calories, getting enough vitamins and trace minerals, reducing stress, doing a regular scalp massage, and consuming some pumpkin and pumpkin seeds.
- Research. There are scientific studies happening all the time around the world. We report to you regularly what the latest research is.
- Clinical Trials. If you want to explore what clinical trials are happening and if you could participate, here is the link. As of the writing of this article, there were 225 trials using the search terms “hair loss/baldness.”
Remember that most treatments for hair loss are much more effective when there is hair thinning rather than a completely bald scalp. It’s easier to stimulate follicles that are becoming less efficient than to stimulate follicles that are entirely shut down. So, if you are considering treatment, don’t delay.
If you suffer from hair loss, rest assured you are not alone. Millions of men and women battle hair loss worldwide. At Capillus, we are here to help patients find a physician and a hair loss treatment that works for them. To find a licensed hair loss expert near you, visit our Capillus physician finder online. Readers are also invited to browse our collection of clinical strength hair care products. For product inquiries and order assistance, please call customer service at 1 (877) 688-1518.