August marks the month for National Hair Loss Awareness. Now, more than ever, is the time to review some staggering statistics from the American Hair Loss Association:
- Androgenetic alopecia, or male pattern baldness, is the culprit behind 95 percent of men’s hair loss cases.
- By the age of 32, two-thirds of men will experience some degree of loss.
- By the age of 50, 85 percent of men experience hair loss.
- Twenty-five percent of men who suffer from male pattern baldness exhibit symptoms before the age of 21.
- Women make up 40 percent of hair loss cases.
- Women’s hair loss is more difficult to treat with prescriptions and surgeries.
These statistics paint a dismal picture, but are important to share for individuals who erroneously believe they are suffering alone. What’s more, many hair loss sufferers who come to terms with their condition and actively seek treatment can prevent further loss and even spark regrowth.